Sunday, November 15, 2009

Indian Takeout leftovers

We love Indian foods, all of it, but particularly curries. We have in our neighborhood, fortunately or unfortunately, 2 great Indian restaurants, both of which deliver for free. I'm not saying that we overuse the privilege, but it has happened that we called for Indian twice in the same week.

The thing is though, I don't like to overdo the bread, or the rice so I'm left with a lot of unused curry sauce and I hate to throw it away. Friday night we had Indian, and I ate my prawns and my vegetables, but couldn't bring myself to throw away all that tasty Vindaloo sauce so I put it in the fridge.

Today I took it out, along with the little container of red hot onion condiment and decided to see what I could come up with. It was very simple, but delicious!


Butternut Squash-Chickpeas Curry
3 servings

Ingredients:

1 tsp canola oil
1 1/2 cup diced butternut squash
1 TBSP red hot onion chutney
1 cup chickpeas
1 cup leftover Vindaloo sauce
Chicken broth
1/4 cup cilantro
Salt & Pepper

Directions

Heat oil in medium saucepan, add diced squashed, sauteed until slightly brown. Add a little chicken broth to Hot onion chutney (just to spread it a little) and add to the saucepan. Add Chickpeas and cook for a few minute, until the chutney thickens on the squash and chickpeas.

Add Vindaloo sauce, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes.

Add cilantro, season with salt and pepper and serve over grains (I served it with whole wheat couscous).

Happy Cooking!

No comments: