Saturday, February 02, 2008

Breakfast

Steel Cut Oats

Ingredients

1 cup of uncooked steel cut oats
4 cups of water
Pinch of salt
1 cinnamon stick

Directions

1- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan.

2- Add the oats, the salt and the cinnamon stick. Reduce the fire and simmer for a few minutes, until it starts to thicken.

3- Remove from the fire, cover and let sit overnight.

4- In the morning, take out what you need, and heat up with a little milk and whatever add-ons* you want in there.

5- Place the rest in a Tupperware and keep in the fridge for several days taking out what you need every morning.

Note: My favorite add-ons are sliced banana, raisins, sugar-free syrups (not too much!) or honey. I’ve also put a little pumpkin puree and pumpkin spices. You put whatever you want in there and let me know if you find something great!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like this idea of how to make oatmeal in advance, using the steel-cut kind. I've been making 5 min. oatmeal every morning for years, and have a few suggestions for additions. I make my oatmeal, by first soaking the oats + cranberries (instead of raisins) in hot water (use for tea also) while I shower, etc. Then add plain lite soy milk to cover and microwave for 2 min. Then I add fruit: chopped apple during the winter, and blueberries all summer! No need for any sugar!